[TR] oil filler cap leakage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] oil filler cap leakage
From: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:57:15 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Hello List,

My oil filler cap on the valve cover is leaking a lot less than before
rebuilding it.  I drilled out the rivet, replaced the gasket with two pieces
of 1/32" gasket material.  The original thickness was 1/32" gasket material.
Then taped the bottom solid brass piece of the rivet to 6/32 threads.
Reassembled the oil filler cap. About two weeks later of daily driving the oil
filler cap leaks again!  The carbon canister is not restricted.  The valve
cover vent is clear.  The valve cover gasket does not leak. The carb suction
emission ports pull a vacuum.  The routing of the hoses are correct according
to the manual.  There is not excessive pressure at the oil filler opening when
the engine is hot or cold when revving up the rpms.  I can keep my hand on the
opening without pressure buildup for a few minutes.  I realize that the oil
leaks a little do to the screw threads not being sealed with silicone.  I know
that I could buy a new oil filler cap, but I think that I would get the same
result that I have now.  I like the original oil cap with lettering.  Anyone
been down this road before?

Regards,

Greg Perry
72 TR6