[TR] Oil filler cap leakage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Oil filler cap leakage
From: Brian.L.Jones@gsk.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:38:59 -0500
Greg,

I know that you like the original cap, and Randall may be right that rings
or bigger vent are required, but I suggest that you try a cheaper solution
first.

I had an oil filler cap that gushed a 'stream' of oil down the back of my
engine block. After a couple of attempt to improve its seal, I picked up a
chrome oil filler cap at PepBoys. They have them in their Performance
Truck Section. Its a chrome dome kind of item, and was less than $5. With
a little tweak on the 'feet' of the cap to provide a tight fit to the
Valve cover, I got a really good seal. The oil now amounts to a 'misting'
around the filler hole after several hundred miles, and is totally
manageable. The chrome cap, though not original, look pretty good -
certainly better than the old (my old one was not original) cap surrounded
by oil.

I am gradually addressing sources of oil that my car leaves on the garage
floor. This was a) the greatest source of oil, and b) the easiest fix. An
insufficiently tight speedo drive at the gearbox, and a re-tightened
timing chain cover have helped too.

If this cap works for your car, you'll know if pursuing a better seal with
the original cap is worthwhile, or maybe just save that for 'show days',
if that is your thing.

If it doesn't work, it may be the rings as your winter project?

Cheers,

Brian in Valley Forge
'64 TR4

Hello List,

My oil filler cap on the valve cover is leaking a lot less than before
rebuilding it.  <snip> About two weeks later of daily driving the oil
filler cap leaks again!

Greg Perry
72 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org