Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, jmitch@snet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:38:57 EST
In a message dated 12/23/2006 7:10:09 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:
> Disassemble the pump, and pack the gears.  The idea being that it will pump
> Vaseline faster than air, so you'll get oil pressure faster.  Personally,
> I'm
> not convinced it's a good idea, but YMMV.  As long as you've used plenty of
> assembly lube, the few extra seconds it takes to build pressure with the
> plugs
> out isn't going to make any difference.

If you are using assembly lub (highly recommended) shy not lub the pump gears
while you are at it?

BTW I've seen instances where a dry pump won't even prime the itself.  Even
after several minutes on the starter (without plugs) and still no pressure.
After dropping the pan and geasing up the oilpump the oil pressure built up
very
quickly, indeed.

The 6 cylinder cars with the oil pumps mounted well above the oil level are
more prone to this that the TRactor motors whose pumps are submerged.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org