Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:01:43 EST
In a message dated 12/23/06 10:39:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Dave1massey@cs.com writes:

<< BTW I've seen instances where a dry pump won't even prime the itself.
Even
 after several minutes on the starter (without plugs) and still no pressure.
 After dropping the pan and geasing up the oilpump the oil pressure built up
very
 quickly, indeed.   >>

There are ways around that. Loosten the oil filter or remove the oil pressure
sender/ gauge line. This way the pump isn't pushing against a head.
Completly filling the oil filter with oil makes the condition worse, I add just
enough
oil to the filter to wet the paper.

When building a motor I install the filter, turn the motor upside down, fill
the pump pickup tube then install the pan.  After the motor is flipped back
over, over a few qt of oil are added to the pan and the oil pump drive spun.
Using this method I've primed engines by turning a screw driver by hand.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org