Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: ZinkZ10C@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:20:09 EST
In a message dated 12/23/2006 10:02:21 PM Central Standard Time,
ZinkZ10C@aol.com writes:
> There are ways around that. Loosten the oil filter or remove the oil
> pressure
> sender/ gauge line. This way the pump isn't pushing against a head.

Except the pump isn't ushing against a head if there is only air there.  If
there was a head it would show in the pressure gauge.  That's what it is for.

TR8's are notorious for this.  I've spun the oil pump with a hand drill for
minutes with no prime effect.  A quick dismantle and lub (the TR8 oil pump is
mounted externally) and it primes right away.

The work around I've heard (but not tried yet) is to overfill the sump and
prime.  Once prime is achieved drain out the excess.  It would probably work on
a TR6, too.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org