Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: MMoore8425@aol.com, tr3driver@ca.rr.com, jmitch@snet.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:24:29 EST
In a message dated 12/23/2006 10:24:38 PM Central Standard Time,
MMoore8425@aol.com writes:

> >> BTW I've seen instances where a dry pump won't even prime the itself.
>> Even
>> after several minutes on the starter (without plugs) and still no pressure.
>>
>> After dropping the pan and geasing up the oilpump the oil pressure built up
>> very
>> quickly, indeed.
>>

>  So what happens when they change oil?

The TR6 oil pump (and the TR8 the two pumps with which I am familar) oil pump
are designed with inlets and exits on the top part of the pump which puts the
pump in a bit of a well which will hold enough oil to prime the pump.  Also,
if the engine hasn't been sitting too long the oil film will still be on the
pump gears which will allow the pump to prime.

The TR3 (and I suppose the TR4) pumps mounted below the oil line in the sump
and priming is not necessary.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org