RE: [TR] DOT3 vs DOT5 Brake Fluid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] DOT3 vs DOT5 Brake Fluid
From: "Ann and Tim Buja" <buja@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 08:18:40 -0500
TJ wrote:
> I did a little more look 'round and found DOT 5
> fluid is not recommended for cars with ABS due to its greater
> compressability and its ability to entrain air.  It was probably
> 20 years ago and I'm thinking the specs may have changed and the
> product improved.

The issue that I heard was that silicone fluid provides insufficient
lubrication for the ABS hydraulic pump and that only "conventional" brake
fluids were specified for use in order to prevent premature pump failure.  I
can't quote the source, but I read this about the time when I bought my 90
Saab 900 that had a Teves ABS system (which had a couple of ABS electrical
connectors with Ford logos on them).

Tim Buja - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6 - Rockford, IL

===     http://www.vtr.org