RE: [TR] DOT3 vs DOT5 Brake Fluid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] DOT3 vs DOT5 Brake Fluid
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:00:41 -0700
> I have been told that
> silicone has a tendency
> to boil under heavy use conditions.  Anyone know if there is
> any truth to that?

Only a little.  Silicone actually boils at a higher temperature than DOT
3/4; but it does become more compressible before it boils.  If you are
running past the point where you would have already lost the brakes using
old DOT 3/4; the pedal may get soft with DOT 5.

That said, I've driven my Triumphs very hard on occasion; up, down and
around California mountains; and I don't believe I've ever gotten my DOT 5
hot enough to get a soft pedal.  I can easily get into "pad fade", where the
pads simply don't grab the rotors any more; or "piston knock back" where a
quick pump of the pedal brings the brakes back; but I've never been able to
boil the fluid.

BTW, "piston knock back" is a common, known problem with the Triumph front
end when driven hard.  I believe even TRF is now selling a modification to
reduce this problem (although not eliminate it).

Randall