Re: [TR] distributor advance

To: ptegler@verizon.net, Peter Arakelian <PeterAra@msn.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] distributor advance
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 13:59:35 -0700
On 3/2/2020 1:45 PM, Paul Tegler wrote:

> Having studied this over and over again, even have gone as far as
> redesigning the whole timing system (during a F.I and full wasted
> spark conversion)� ... and with simple physics behind me I can
> comfortably say your empirical data has to be flawed....no nice way to
> say it.
>
> simple physics.... a tighter (stronger) spring will not extend as far
> as a lighter spring under the same weight applied.

Wasn't it Randall who said early on that the main spring, though
stiffer, was loose in its connection, which would account for the quick
advance off idle?  In the case of the advance/idle retard mechanisms,
the object was to get the engine at idle to burn off residual fuel in
the exhaust manifold by retarding timing, but there was also a need for
getting the advance up quickly since that was essential for off-idle
performance, and slack in the spring mounting would accomplish that.
Only when that slack was taken up would the stiffer spring come into
play and slow the rate of advance with rpm.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

tox.team.net