Re: vintage race VW

To: Simon Favre <simon@LSIL.COM>
Subject: Re: vintage race VW
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 07:48:11 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Simon Favre wrote:

> You found a sanctioning body that will allow a VW Bug to race?

        Does TRANS AM count?

> I've never seen one road racing.

        Take a peek at Vintage Motorsports TRANS AM kick-off issue
        there's a photo of one in there...

        Once the rear swing axels were fixed so they didn't tuck in,
        they were somewhat more stable... and competitive.

        Think of a beetle as as "slighlty verticle slow Porsche". There
        were plently autocrossing (I drove a friend's Heitmann Stinger
        at an autocross in the DC area to make a club entry minimum) over
        the years not to mention those bugs that were rallyed to some success.
        If they were so dog slow no one would have bothered.

        Of course when VW introduced the Rabbit those that drove the Triumphs,
        Alfas and Porsches had a another worry in the quest to win FTD
        autocrossing.

        I think it would be a real kick seeing a beetle or two nipping at
        the heels of the under two liter set...

        But that's just me

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois