Re: vintage race VW

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vintage race VW
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 15:48:51 PST
It seems a lot of people are telling me they have seen VW Bugs racing.
I have seen a few at autocrosses. Those who have seen them in current
race series say they were modified. In these categories, massive body
changes are common. Not so in Vintage. Perhaps I should have said I
haven't seen any road racing anyplace where the sanctity of the
original sheetmetal is respected. ;=) In autocrossing, the Amazing
Leaping Rabbits (tm) definitely made VW a contender. The Scirocco was
respected in both categories. For Vintage Racing, I question the value
of MAKING a 1951 Bug competitive. That would seem to require such
massive changes, that the car would have no collectible value anymore.
Isn't a 1951 getting kind of rare for a Bug?  Is this a generic problem
with setting up old cars that never raced, or am I just picking on
Bugs? ;=)