re: Vintage Race VW

To: "'Vintage Race'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Vintage Race VW
From: "Warnock, Mike" <Warnock@engrnd.roundlake.baxter.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 10:48:00 PST
I'm still trying to make sense of vintage classes.  In what class does a
1951 VW with a 1600 run?  Does it have the stock crankcase?  0.040"
over-bore with what stroke?

Sounds like I'm being more picky than the vintage race sanctioning bodies.
I know it's all for fun.

 ------------------
FYI
The above post was received on 12/13/95.  For me, using Windoze MSMail, the
header info just indicates from vintage-race-owner...  I have tried to reset
the .INI to list the path; but, it remains the same.  I'd like to suggest
that list members add a signature line (name and e-mail address) unless you
wish to remain anon.

My read on this is:
1) I have seen 948 Bugeye Sprites running 1275's, 850 Mini's with same, etc.
2) you will want to check with the organization you plan to race with to see
what, if any, class structure they use
3)prepare your car for the org rules or if you plan to run with more than
one org be conservative or make your set-up flexible to easily change over
4)prepare your car for the period in which it may have been raced e.g. the
'51 VW if raced before 1965 would have used a 1200cc engine( or even 1100cc,
if earlier) or if raced after 1970 could have used the 1600cc, if back
dating and up dating were allowed

Well, you see a lot of or's and if's in my thoughts and I really wonder
about this myself.  For my project vintage-racing VW, I originally planned
to take a clean or restored street car between 1961 and 1967, blueprint the
engine, tweak the suspension, add safety equip and go race pretty much like
it was done in the early 60's.  In the process of looking for a good car, I
found some built racers from a later period.  These looked more like the 2.5
Challenge Series cars of 1972.  So I'm thinking, humph, more mods, more hp,
goes faster than an early 60's version.  I think I'll start here.

Mike Warnock
warnocm@baxter.com
103206.1235@compuserve.com