Re: vintage race VW

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vintage race VW
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 10:11:53 PST
You found a sanctioning body that will allow a VW Bug to race?  I would
think it has too narrow a track and too high a center of gravity to be
allowed on the race track. I've never seen one road racing. Why not get
a Formula Vee? At least you'll already have connections and parts
sources. ;=) Seriously, why carry around all that extra weight when
with basically the same components, you can drive a car that weighs
less than half of what the Bug does? FVees are real cheap, too.

About the engine, some race groups are more picky than others. It never
hurts to ask the rule makers. There's usually a homologation committee,
or something like it in every club. Note that non-contemporary
performance mods are sometimes frowned upon. VW 1600's didn't exist in
1951, right? On the other hand, if you're still struggling just to
bring up the rear, they may not care. In the under 2 Liter classes, you
will have some pretty stiff competition from Porsche Speedsters, Alfas,
Triumphs, Cortinas, etc. A lot of these cars were bred for road racing.