Re: Which race club to join ?

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Subject: Re: Which race club to join ?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 20:33:33 -0600
Tom Shirley wrote:

> >What I would like to know is which vintage race organization should I
> >join, SVRA or VSCCA ?
> >I would like to hear varying comments on either org. , pros and cons,
> >number of events, rules, etc.
> >

> The only point of reference I can give you is that a friend of mine tried to
> race with the SVRA once in Atlanta. His Bugeye had no windshield and had a
> 1275. They wanted to make him run with the Cobras, Mustabgs, etc. Basically
> they just didn't want him to race.
>
> My opinion, they are a bunch of snobs. Go with the VSCCA. I've heard some
> good things about them and I don't think they as picky about what you race.
> If you really want to have some fun, come to a HSR event. Joe Pendergast and
> his crew know how to put on a fun event and you won't be treated like a red
> headed stepchild.
>
> Tom Shirley
> Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)
> 71 MG Midget
> 72 Datsun 510 #18

Tom,

Sorry, but I can't agree with that line of reasoning. One of the best
things about the SVRA is their adherence to "rules" which govern their
events. I like knowing that I'm racing against other 948s rather than
some tricked out 1400cc+ monster. I've never found the group to be
snobs. They run their events in a highly professional manner. They
promote originality and safety...nothing wrong with that.

I've got nothing good or bad to say about the other organizations as
I've had no personal experience with them.

Wm.Severin Thompson
Team Thicko