Re: Which race club to join ?

To: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Which race club to join ?
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 17:57:59 -0800
Brinkmann, Gerry wrote:

> I have been racing for close on 10 years now - originally did some races
> with the SCCA in a MG Midget and have for the last 6 years campaigned a
> VW GTI on the pro-rally circuit. I am looking to supplement my pro-rally
> calendar with some vintage racing to fill in the gaps during the
> pro-rally season.
>
> This year I hope to start racing with some form of vintage race
> association. I hope to do about 3 races this year and am looking at the
> following events:
>
> Lime Rock Weekend during Labor day weekend
> The Watkins Glen event during September
> Something in the May time frame - I think there is one at Pocono
>
> I already have my car ready, I am installing a slightly breathed on
>  engine over the next couple of weeks and the gearbox is currently being
> stripped to change some components. So essentially the car is ready.
>
> What I would like to know is which vintage race organization should I
> join, SVRA or VSCCA ?
> I would like to hear varying comments on either org. , pros and cons,
> number of events, rules, etc.
>
> I do NOT have a log book for the car - but once having joined a club, I
> should be able to get a log-book issued.
>
> thanks
> gerry
>
> PS - it's a 1962 MGB
>
> The following binary file has been uuencoded to ensure successful
> transmission.  Use UUDECODE to extract.
>
>                          Name: WINMAIL.DAT
>            Part 1.2      Type: zz-application/zz-winassoc-DAT
>                      Encoding: x-uuencode

Gerry, I have never seen so much response from an inquiry as yours
regarding which race group to join.

You have gotten lots of good advice from those who have mostly "been
there... done that."  I have raced for the last couple of years with
VSCDA, SVRA and HSR.  Guess what?  I LIKE THEM ALL!!!

I try to keep my TR3A as close to original as possible and don't mind
running bias ply tires (they're kind of fun actually) so I get along
real well with my friends at SVRA.  In my opinion they have the best
grouping of cars to run against (other than all those 356's, but I guess
you have to put them somewhere!)

HSR events appear to be run a little looser and you really see all kinds
of car there (stretches the concept of "vintage".)  With such a wide
diversity of cars you can expect to be racing your production car in the
same group with sports racers and cars with more cylinders than your car
could even hold.

I can not speak of the VSCCA guys because they don't allow my car so I
have not had the pleasure of their aquaintence.  I get the feeling they
are kind of sticky about originality because someone told me they made
him cover his SVRA decal with tape because they didn't allow signs on
the cars!!!

Gerry, I'm sure you will have fun racing vintage.  I pro rallied a few
times and driving on bias ply tires is similar to doing a hand brake
turn on those gravel forest roads.  My only problem with pro rallies was
I was getting too old to stay up all night for those night time
stages!!!

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing