Re: Which race club to join ?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Which race club to join ?
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:53:17 -0500

> > What I would like to know is which vintage race organization should I
> > join, SVRA or VSCCA ?
> > I would like to hear varying comments on either org. , pros and cons,
> > number of events, rules, etc.
> > .. snip ...

>From the races shwon, I'd guess you're in New England or at least the
Northeast.
The VSCCA has a cutoff date of Dec 31, 1959 for VSCCA cars, but you can run
several VSCCA events with newer car, like NHIS the weekend before July 4 and
the Fall Festival. Don't forget the Mt. Tremblant event too - best race /
vacation spot in the US! And VARAC will welcome you to Mosport, also close.
You can also use your car for the VSCCA driving school in early April.
However, you must be nominated by two VSCCA members who have known you for
some time.
Don't forget VARAC too. VSCCA and most other groups will recognize VARAC for
race credentials (don't they Mike?)
(Above is plug for the two clubs I am member of !)

Among all the vintage groups, there are Vintage RACING organizations and
VINTAGE racing organizations, with the difference being whether they are
RACING vintage cars - like trying to win - , or continuing races with
VINTAGE cars. It's all a mindset. I own one car of each type now, so I can
take my '57 Spider and enjoy driving it to the course, if I like, or take
the wild '62 and go like hell (and often beat all the Jags.)
If you want to RACE a vintage car, SVRA or HSR might be a better choice. If
you like seeing grids looking like 1959 and "genteel" competition (like it
really was when I started), VSCCA is the trick.

Regards, Jim

Jim Hayes  Vintage racing '57 & '62 Alfa Spiders
 jeh@fotec.com              http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm
New: The Alfa 'WebCalendar' http://world.std.com/~jeh/calendar/
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false.