Re: Tires

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 13:13:14 -0500
Jack:
I agree wholeheartly. To a point.
Up here in Canada, VARAC becomes the tail wagging the dog.
When L section 13" tires were put back into production year before last
we immediately mandated their use for all pre'62 cars like Sprites,
Turners, Juniors etc. It was a tough decision to make - the right one -
but still, it caused a lot of trouble because so many of our racers go
south, where in the east, (other than VSCCA) we're the only group that
has ruled this.
Why hasn't SVRA????
It's the right size tire for the period. Period.
If a tire was to be mandated, the Hard L (or any one the same sized) is
the correct one.
Monoposto Racing mandated it last year for Juniors (after us) but are
thinking of recinding it because of pressure from the guys with rear
engined late juniors who feel they should be as fast as FFords and tires
are holding them back.
Since we have agreed in our rule book to follow MR's rules for formula
cars, we may be a bind if we don't change.
Common rules are great, but who will start? Everyone has too much self
interest.
Why does everyone always bring the cost of tires into the mix?
Check your costs! Race fuel, travel, entry fees, expensive
engine/suspension mods etc. are a FAR larger cost of vintage racing than
tires...but's it's always held up as a smoke screen for the point that
most of us who will never have the racing skill of the pros will all GO
SLOWER on the correct tire for our period.
Cost isn't the factor - winning regardless of its effect on the sport
is.
Here I go again...I must have too much free time on my hands.

PS. Rather than worrying about whether Hoosier or Goodyear tire x is
legal for such and such group...why not tell them you won't buy their
tires until they make the correct size and tread pattern for our cars
and sport. If they want to call it vintage tire, hold them to it!
Make them make a vintage tire. (The Hoosier 5.0L15 is quite a bit wider
than the same sized Dunlop...hence it's not the right tire regardless of
what they say it is. Make them put their tires where their mouth is)
Mike Rosen