Re: GT6 suspension mods

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 suspension mods
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:22:25 +0000
This will not be of any help on verifying the "legality" of the 510
differential in the rear-end of the GT-6 but there was a similar situation
with a differential in the Sunbeam Alpine.

I have been told that as long as the "stock" axle housing and diff. carrier
was in place it was legal.

Doane Spencer had taken a Studebaker differential and machined it to fit the
Sunbeam's housing.  Then axles were cut and adapted.  It was a $300.00+
option on the Sunbeam in the mid-60's.  Based on various notes, my car was
competing with this setup in the mid-60's.

This was enabled Sunbeam owners to utilize a Posi-lok rearend.  There wasn't
a widely available Posi-lok differential for the Alpine besides for the
differential Doane assembled.

Many of the modifications Doane made for the Sunbeam became "authorized"
factory parts.  I even have heard that a brochure was produced with many of
the "Hollywood Sports Car" competition Items.  The differential was one of
the parts listed.

Steve Silverstein