Re: GT6 suspension mods

To: milano164@mediaone.net, Gt6steve@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 suspension mods
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:38:20 EDT

<<about our
 > GT6's the question came up as to the validity of 240Z hubs in the rear
 > suspension.>>

<< Luke asked if I had any documentation to support that Group 44 actually did
 > this mod and was it actually legal?  We pondered the same question for the
 > 510 diff in GT6'>>

<< This will not be of any help on verifying the "legality" of the 510
 differential in the rear-end of the GT-6 but there was a similar situation
 with a differential in the Sunbeam Alpine.>>

 <<Doane Spencer had taken a Studebaker differential and machined it to fit
the
 Sunbeam's housing.  Then axles were cut and adapted.  It was a $300.00+
 option on the Sunbeam in the mid-60's.  Based on various notes, my car was
 competing with this setup in the mid-60's.>>

 <<This was enabled Sunbeam owners to utilize a Posi-lok rearend.  There
wasn't
 a widely available Posi-lok differential for the Alpine besides for the
 differential Doane assembled.

 Many of the modifications Doane made for the Sunbeam became "authorized"
 factory parts.  I even have heard that a brochure was produced with many of
 the "Hollywood Sports Car" competition Items.  The differential was one of
 the parts listed. >>

To all vintage race organization technical authorities and concerned drivers:

This is a plea for all to openly allow the modification or replacement of
suspension and driveline components in cars with known weaknesses is these
areas. Since I am at home today, I don't have my GCR's handy, so I cannot
quote the regs verbatum. SCCA did allow axles, spindles, hubs, bearings and
driveshafts to be freely replaced by 1967. They recognized the weaknesses
were serious by then. The complete replacement of the differential and
housing was not officially authorized, but it was done covertly by many top
teams, and I don't believe it was ever a bone of contention by knowledgible
tech inspectors.

This problem is serious enough now that the period regs should not control a
solution regardless of what they say or how they were interpreted.

One problem we have now is that some organizations such as SVRA openly allow
these mods. Some groups' rules imply that things like this are illegal, but
don't really enforce it. Others don't allow anything that is not proven and
documented. These differences confuse drivers and mechanics alike, and I
believe we are preventing sensible safety improvements for fear that someone
might get a performace advantage.

I've said it before: THIS HAS BECOME REAL RACING AND PEOPLE AND CARS GET
HURT!

There are a few clubs that openly promote original spec cars and I think that
is fine. I am not talking about them. But to those clubs that allow fully
race prepared cars to be raced to their potential; I hope we can get together
on this.

Walt Hane might have some words of wisdom here. I will check Monday if we
don't hear from him sooner. Also Lanky Forget (sp?), the Group 44 head
mechanic is still around and he probably can shead some light on this subject.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA