Re: GT6 suspension mods

To: David.Laver@msdw.com, lwdent@fwi.com
Subject: Re: GT6 suspension mods
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:33:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/00 10:08:09 AM, David.Laver@msdw.com writes:

<<Interesting debate. We prize above all other cars on the grid those with
period history running as close to the spec they were at.  What if we now
know they were illegal in period?  What if the illegal mod protects original
components from inevitable breakage?>>

    In the case of altered suspension pieces that prevent failure, it's
difficult to take the position that originality is more important.  In
virtually every case, modifications/alterations can be made that maintain the
original pick-up points and therefore do not change suspension geometry and
do not substantially improve performance.
    I love hearing about stuff like the trick and not legal suspension pieces
used by Group 44 that Larry Dent wrote about.  The creative and brilliant
engineering that guys like Lanky Foushee (I hope I'm at least close on the
spelling) used to make their cars the class of the field.  I know many of
their tricks were perfectly legal but the "unapproved" ones are always more
entertaining.
    It also makes regulation of vintage race cars a real pandora's box.  I
would never tell someone that they can not run their original Group 44 race
car due to an illegal part that was part of the cars historically accurate
configuration.  Should everyone be allowed to copy that configuration?
Personally, I would say not, but that puts the sanctioning body in the
position of saying some folks can run illegal parts and other can not.  The
real problem begins when other competitors start saying "Everybody used to
run their cars like this".
    Trying to make vintage cars accurate and period authentic is a lofty goal
that we have to strive towards but it's never easily defined.

    Thanks to Larry for sharing that tidbit of Group 44 history.

    Doug Meis