Re: 350 for towing?

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: 350 for towing?
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:33:56 -0400
At 08:22 PM 8/14/00 -0400, Derek Harling wrote:
>Sounds like you need to downshift more. Need to keep revs up with these modern
>engines.

Derek, define "keeping the revs up"... I'm turning about 3000 to 3100 RPM's
doing 65 to 70. That is right at the peak of the torque range. As I
approach the bottom of a big hill I routinely floor it, and watch the rev's
slowly drop. On big hills I am forced to go down to third.

You think I should select THIRD going 70ish at the base of every hill?
Remember Uncle Jack's question... Will the 350 COMFORTABLY pull the
trailer. Listening to my engine screaming at over 4000 rpm's is _WAY_
outside the range of comfortable in my book.

>Can't imagine you would ever use 5th for towing.

Only on extended flat. It's happy as could be and pulls well.

>My van only comes with auto - never use OD (except down mountains!)

Down big mountains is when I never use 5th (OD). I want the engine braking.

>  - D is
>fantastic for all interstates any speed from 50 to way over legal - "2" is
>great for grades up to 70mph or so.

I'd imagine your relationship with the big boys at Daimler/Chrysler
replaces your engines for free. I like to redline the race car, not the tow
vehicle. 70 in "2"???

>I expect above also to applies to Ford and/or GM but can't imagine why anyone
>would choose one of those in preference to Dodge van.

I'm not touching that one.

I've had the truck back to my bonehead dealer complaining about no power
many times. They claim it's fine, but I seriously doubt they have done
anything. I've recently put in a K&N air filter cartridge and that seemed
to help. We will know the next race, I've got lots of mountains between
Connecticut and Watkins Glen.

My wife wants me to get a truck with an automatic transmission. After this
race season I'll probably try to sell the Dodge and get something with some
real balls.