Re: 350 for towing?

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 350 for towing?
From: NeotoyRick@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:52:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/00 6:27:50 PM, vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

<< What's the wisdom of the list -- will a full size Chevy van with a 350
comfortably pull an enclosed trailer? >>

Uncle Jack

I have had 350 chevy's in my last 3 tow vehicles with no problem.  (proper
hitching equipment - equalizer hitch/bars, sway control, etc - a given)
Comfortably depends on which year.  Older (80's) 350s are about 170hp and may
struggle a bit w/hills.  Ask WST about the 350 in his Sub going to Mosport.
You'll be towing in D (3rd),  Be sure you have the 3:73 rer end as you'll
need the gears for acceleration.  I have a '92 Sub (195hp) 350 w/3:43 rear
thinking I would save gas on the road.  Wrong.  The lack of acceleration
around town and on the road coupled with throttle body injection (ugh) made
for an OK powerplant w/open trailer, but a struggle w/enclosed.

I now have a '97 Suburban 350 sequential port fuel injection for 255hp and it
rocks!  Puh-lenty of power for any occaision.  Tow in OD and I get about 11
mpg w/half ton Sub.  Brakes stink, but that's another topic.

Conclusion: '97 or newer - no problem.  93-96 with the right rear end - OK.
Older than 91 - may be a struggle on some hills.

Good luck

Rick G
Dr D