Re: Looking for a book/book shop

To: Vintage Race Digest <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a book/book shop
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:49:04 -0500
I don't want to "knock" other people's recommendations or favorites but the
stores in central London tend to be big and volume driven (not to mention the
high rents they have to cover).

The one I recommended - Chaters Motoring Books in Isleworth (near Richmond,
Twickenham) is just as well stocked and run by really knowledgeable enthusiasts
(*). Not as convenient for tourists but well worth the few miles travel (1/2
hour) - it's also next door to Think Automotive (so pick all your oil cooler
and hose fitting
requirements at factory wholesale) and to Twickenham Rugby ground (if you're
into rugby, as was our original inquirer).

(*) -example - I used to work with Walt McCall who among other things is a
leading expert on Fire Trucks and has written/published the definitive
reference book "North American Fire Trucks" - about as arcane as you can get.
When I visited Chater's I asked the man downstairs if they had this book -
after a minutes thought he replied
something like "We sold one 2 or 3 years ago the other should be upstairs,
third row left, probably second shelf). It was. And you should see the
"upstairs"!

Derek (no connection - just impressed, occasional customer)

PS- if Chater's, Think and Rugby aren't sufficient attraction to leave central
London tell the little lady it's near Hampton Court - which it is by car.