Safety gear survey

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, dwebb@saleswebb.com
Subject: Safety gear survey
From: Gonridn2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:38:13 EDT
Hi, I'm new to car racing, having switched over from motorcycle roadracing.
I've purchased a Datsun Roadster vintage racer, and am putting together the
equipment to race.  Today was my first foray into the equipment shop in
Phoenix, I left with as many new questions as I did answers (not the
salesperson's fault!).  I plan on racing with NASA, HSR-West, and VARA (any
or all of them).  They spell out the minimum equipment list, but I understand
that it is a minimum list, so I am looking for some insight from veteran
racers on the following questions: (I'll be racing in the Southwest,
primarily AZ)

Suit material/layers?  One layer with Nomex underwear, 2 layers with
underwear, or 2 layers with cotton underwear?  Nomex, PBI, Kevlar ($$$$)?
Simpson, Racequip?  TPP rating?

Helmets?  Is it worth getting a SA95 or should you just get a SA00 since 95s
may be illegal soon?  Simpson, Bell?  Vented or not?

Helmet skirt or head sock (hood)?  Hood with one eye hole or two?

Gloves - one layer or two?  precurved fingers or not?  red for signaling?

My Simpson belts are basically unused but 1995.  5 years or newer is
recommended.  Comments...

Anything else....

Thanks, Troy Tinsley