Re: Safety gear survey

To: <Gonridn2@aol.com>, "Vintage List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety gear survey
From: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:04:35 -0400
Subject: Safety gear survey

<...snip...>
> Suit material/layers?  One layer with Nomex underwear, 2 layers with
> underwear, or 2 layers with cotton underwear?  Nomex, PBI, Kevlar ($$$$)?
> Simpson, Racequip?  TPP rating?

I'm positively anal about safety equipment.  If you can afford proper safety
gear, don't race.  Get the best you can find, cut no corners.

I use a two layer, one piece PBI/Kevlar suit with a single layer of nomex
undies.  Hot and bulky.  From G-Force.  SFI-3.2A/5 Rating. TPP rating 32.

> Helmets?  Is it worth getting a SA95 or should you just get a SA00 since
95s
> may be illegal soon?  Simpson, Bell?  Vented or not?

The SA95's will be obsoleted all to soon; get an SA00.  You can not spent
too much or be too fussy about your hat.  I prefer and recommend vents.
Make sure to get a snug, proper fit - that is more inportant than brand or
style.  Add Bieffe to your list.

> Helmet skirt or head sock (hood)?  Hood with one eye hole or two?

Personal preference is a head sock (balaclava) with a single eye port.  I
tried Nomex and PBI/Kevlar.  I prefer the Nomex because it absorbs sweat
better.  I use both so they don't get too gamey.  For the same reason, get
lots of extra pairs of socks.

> Gloves - one layer or two?  precurved fingers or not?  red for signaling?

Soft leather gloves, single layer, nomex backing with curved fingers.  Check
the construction for where the seams are located.  Mine are red, but that's
just because that was the only color the supplier had in stock and I didn't
plan my time well enough.

> My Simpson belts are basically unused but 1995.  5 years or newer is
> recommended.  Comments...

Call Simpson at their Texas location.  Arrange to have the belts re-webbed.
Mine were only $50.  Now they're good for another 5 years.  Best deal in
racing.

Get a good equipment to store and transport your gear.  Get a seperate
helmet bag.  Have spare face shields (different colors are nice, but a spare
clear is essential), and tear-offs.

Look into a carbon fibre or kevlar seat shell lined with a bead foam (not
the 2-part stuff) seat.  The hard shell will protect you from
intrusion/penetration damage (ask Adrian Fernandez!) and the bead foam makes
for a very comfortable, form fitting seat with excellent impact cushioning
protection.  The bead foam is very similar to the foam used in helmet
liners.  Pricey, but what's your butt worth to ya?

Best of luck