Re: Safety gear survey

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <RodsINTOMG@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Safety gear survey
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:05:16 -0500
Something to consider which I rarely see mentioned...

Patches on driver's suits. You can expect that they're not fire retardant...
club patches, etc. When sewing them on a fire retardant suit, Nomex thread
is available. Just an added measure of safety...as some are careless and sew
through all layers.

Also, I see an awful lot of drivers that fail to take their big honkin'
chronograph watches off. In a fire, the nomex might be doing a decent job of
keeping your flesh from burning, but that big chunk of metal strapped to
your wrist may get pretty hot.

And lastly, make sure no matter what it is you wear under your suit... make
sure it's cotton. Nothing with nylon in it. When nylon gets hot, it will
melt right into your skin.

WST