Re: Safety gear survey

To: wsthompson@thicko.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net, RodsINTOMG@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Safety gear survey
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:12:43 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/02 10:07:08 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
wsthompson@thicko.com writes:

> Something to consider which I rarely see mentioned...
>
> Patches on driver's suits. You can expect that they're not fire
> retardant...
> club patches, etc. When sewing them on a fire retardant suit, Nomex thread
> is available. Just an added measure of safety...as some are careless and
> sew
> through all layers.
>
> Also, I see an awful lot of drivers that fail to take their big honkin'
> chronograph watches off. In a fire, the nomex might be doing a decent job
> of
> keeping your flesh from burning, but that big chunk of metal strapped to
> your wrist may get pretty hot.
>
> And lastly, make sure no matter what it is you wear under your suit... make
> sure it's cotton. Nothing with nylon in it. When nylon gets hot, it will
> melt right into your skin.

And make sure you wash all petroleum-- oil, gas, grease-- out of the suit or
it pretty much makes the fire retardant moot.  Most suitmakers like Hinchman
have a source to repair and alter suits.  Nomex underwear may be hot, but I
recommend you wear it-  it adds a significant margin of safety.

      Tom Butters