Re: Question about HSR

To: tr6nut@sbcglobal.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about HSR
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:45:51 EST
Hugh:

Thanks for sharing your experience.  That sort of closed-minded, idiotic
thinking is plaguing the sport.   Unfortunately, it exists almost EVERYWHERE
you go.  And it varies from group to group, and goes up and down when each
new Board, or Owner, or Dictator decides what's "best for the sport".  Its
good to know what REALLY happens here and there.

Certainly every group needs a little "discretion" when it comes to car
classifications/eligibility.  But, your offer to run for only the enjoyment
of it, is equivalent in my mind, to running in an "exhibition" group, a most
reasonable solution to most such situations.  I can understand the owner of a
mega-buck E-type restoration taking offense to your car, especially if you
lap him (which is likely the case, I would imagine).  But, in todays' sorry
world, its now become your responsibility to educate the ignorant who doubt
the heritage of such a car as to its pedigree and "point in time"
preparation.  At some point, you just have to say, "fxck this, I'm outta
here!"

You did the right thing by packing up your toys and going home ( I would have
tried to run anyway and told them where to put their bias ply tire
requirements...of course, I know that my attorney can be a much bigger a-hole
than even me).  I urge everyone to "speak with their wallet" at such events.
There are literally so many different vintage venues available now that there
is definitely NO SHORTAGE of places where you can go elsewhere to have fun.
You just might have to keep a sense of humor about it all, and please,
everyone remember the main reason we're doing this.....IT's SUPPOSED TO BE
FOR FUN!!

So, get a life, lighten up, smell the fumes and smile.  And when you get the
opportunity, let the world's assholes know who they are.  Damn, I'm getting
cranky in my old age!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (lost in the restoration ozone at the moment) Cortina Mk1 #128