RE: Question about HSR

To: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Question about HSR
From: <rickyocum@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:27:18 -0800
And this is what I simply love about vintage racing.  Anyone can get
involved...even people with an absolute closed mind to reality.  You
absolutely did the right thing in packing up and leaving (with, I assume, a
refund of your entry fee).  You are also correct in sharing your experience
with the list.  Quite frankly I don't care what is out there on the track
with me, as long as its driver exercises self-control and respect for fellow
competitors.  Hell, I'll find someone to race against and have a ball.  But
the minute you start attaching "points" and "rewards" to the process, the
red mist begins to seep into the process...both on the track and in the
rules enforcement.

Two weekends ago I had my car on display with a number of other vintage
racing machines.  Next to me was an old midget, and in chatting with the
owner I asked him what he ran against.  He motioned to a 40 Ford "stock car"
and said, "Him, among others."

"On the same track at the same time?" I responded.

"Oh, yeah, and there are three-quarter midgets out there, too, and 57 Chevy
stock cars.  We all kinda watch out for each other."

And I thought, "I bet that's how this whole vintage sports car stuff
started.  What happened?

Rick Yocum
6^ Nova Trans Am
(And an empty toolbox)