Re: Question about HSR

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about HSR
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:10:35 -0500
Yep, but speaking as some one who'd LIKE to find a place
to run his '66 Barracuda, its a little disheartening to
see another east coast organization getting more closed
minded about what is and isn't authentic/allowable.  I'll
never have the money for a REAL vintage TransAm car (a
rough '66 Dart was mentioned to me a while back at $32K!!
About what I take home in a year), but I can build a
conservative, reliable, and safe facsimily from my $4K
Barracuda for about another $15K.  Sadly I'll probably end
up just flogging it around local autocrosses and track
days.  While it is FUN beating a ZO6 and Boxter S (sad but
true  =8^) ), I'd really rather be passing a GT 350 up the
inside (even if the built 289 spanks my 273 down the next
straight).

At 10:45 PM 3/11/03 EST, you wrote:
>Hugh:
>
>Thanks for sharing your experience.  That sort of closed-minded, idiotic
>thinking is plaguing the sport.   Unfortunately, it exists almost EVERYWHERE
>you go.  And it varies from group to group, and goes up and down when each
>new Board, or Owner, or Dictator decides what's "best for the sport".  Its
>good to know what REALLY happens here and there.
>
>Certainly every group needs a little "discretion" when it comes to car
>classifications/eligibility.  But, your offer to run for only the enjoyment
>of it, is equivalent in my mind, to running in an "exhibition" group, a most
>reasonable solution to most such situations.  I can understand the owner of a
>mega-buck E-type restoration taking offense to your car, especially if you
>lap him (which is likely the case, I would imagine).  But, in todays' sorry
>world, its now become your responsibility to educate the ignorant who doubt
>the heritage of such a car as to its pedigree and "point in time"
>preparation.  At some point, you just have to say, "fxck this, I'm outta
>here!"
>
>You did the right thing by packing up your toys and going home ( I would have
>tried to run anyway and told them where to put their bias ply tire
>requirements...of course, I know that my attorney can be a much bigger a-hole
>than even me).  I urge everyone to "speak with their wallet" at such events.
>There are literally so many different vintage venues available now that there
>is definitely NO SHORTAGE of places where you can go elsewhere to have fun.
>You just might have to keep a sense of humor about it all, and please,
>everyone remember the main reason we're doing this.....IT's SUPPOSED TO BE
>FOR FUN!!
>
>So, get a life, lighten up, smell the fumes and smile.  And when you get the
>opportunity, let the world's assholes know who they are.  Damn, I'm getting
>cranky in my old age!
>
>Regards,
>Myles H. Kitchen
>1965 Lotus (lost in the restoration ozone at the moment) Cortina Mk1 #128

All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/