Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:58:53 EST
In a message dated 19/03/03 8:45:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com writes:

> The purchase of lightweight racing parts and stripping out the rear seat,
> carpets, etc would seem kinda silly if I end up having to add lead
> weight... but then again, as in circle track racing, this way I get the
> locate the weight on the car where it will do the most good to balance the
> weight.

Beware - different organisations use different weights.

When I raced my MGA in ICSCC racing, it was too light even though I hadn't
done any lightening aside from removing windscreen etc. I had to add weight
(this is truly ironic, given my own expansive physique - weights should be
taken WITH drive on board, dammit!) by bolting a  couple of old flywheels
under the passenger seat. Probably illegal ballasting, but what can you do?

When I ran CASC (equivalent to SCCA, the allowed weight was around 1700 lbs.,
absolutely impossible to approach under the allowed modification rules. Might
as well have been 1000 lbs. for all the good it did us.

I did unbolt the flywheels when I was going to a CASC race, though.

Bill