Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What

To: Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:53:25 EST
In a message dated 3/19/03 8:45:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have read lately of the desire to use a return to a "vintage weight" for
> the race cars (implied in recent letters of returning alternators or
> penalty lead weight, etc.)
> I have a few years of crewing experience for a circle track team (Super
> Late Modified tubular frame 600 HP cars) so am fully aware of the use of
> electronic scales and rules at races for total weight, front to rear, left
> to right, and cross weight.  These weight specs are very important to the
> circle track racers to help ensure some sense of parity.
>
> Bottom line question:
>
> Where do I find the "OFFICIAL VINTAGE RACE CAR WEIGHT SPEC" ?

Jeff, et al:

I do not intend to speak for all Vintage Racing Organizations so I will only
speak with respect to SVRA and HSR.

First, the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) published (and still does)
several rule books every year. The main one is called General Competition
Rules (GCR). It contains certain specifications which apply to all vehicles
within a Category. The various Categories over the years are Modified,
Formula, Sports Racing, GT, Production, Sedan, etc. The authorized
modifications from standard and required modifications are listed each year.

GCR also has the Rules for organizing a race, rules of the road and safety
equipment standards among other things.

Since Production Category cars are raced with mostly standard components,
another book called Production Car Specifications (PCS) is required for a
competitor to know what is standard for a particular make and model and also
what factory options are authorized for racing.

Each page of PCS is devoted to all of the main specifications for each model
listed by SCCA in any particular year. Included are engine bore x stroke,
block and head material, induction, gearbox and final drive ratios, body
panel material, brake and wheel type and size and much more. Of course the
OFFICIAL WEIGHT for that model is also listed.

The corresponding year GCR explains what the conditions are for the weight
calculation. Usually it is a dry weight without driver. It assumes that all
of the equipment that is required by the regulations is in place. The SCCA
used several methods to arrive at the listed weights and that is explained in
GCR.

HOW DOES THIS IMPACT THE CURRENT STATE OF VINTAGE RACING????

In the case of SVRA, we have Supplemental Regulations (SR) in place for most
makes and models of production cars and certain common sports racers. These
are take offs of the appropriate PCS pages with any exceptions or additions
to specifications that SVRA presently allows. Each has an OFFICIAL WEIGHT
which is based on but is not always exactly what PCS shows.

SVRA also recognizes cars and standards that raced in other parts of the
World under FIA regulations. Under the FIA system, each car had to comply
with appropriate Recognition Forms that were to be completed by the
manufacturer. These "Homologation Papers" list every detail and had photos
and drawings of many features. The OFFICIAL WEIGHT is listed on the Forms.

We (SVRA) have a set of pad scales at each event and cars are randomly
checked in the paddock and after qualifying and race sessions.

This has proved to be very well accommodated by our competitors and only
rarely do we find a noncompliant car anymore. These are usually cars from
other areas where the drivers did not take the time to read and understand
our rules and regulations.

Jack Lewis at HSR has also undertaken a weight standardization program. It is
different from the SVRA method because HSR has different philosophies and
needs. HSR has published rules sheets that state the weight limits in each
category.

Many Vintage organizations defer to the GCS/PCS package for the year a car
was manufactured.

The SVRA Supplemental Regulations for a make/model can be requested by
emailing me (jwoesvra@aol.com). The HSR rules can be downloaded from the HSR
website (www.hsrrace.com).

An excellent website is maintained be SOVREN (www.sovren.org) which has
several GCR and PCS years.

I hope this answers your question. Remember, there are over twenty different
Vintage Organizations in the USA and each does things differently. Check with
the one you intend to race with. There is a Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC)
but they have never been able to establish a common standard for car
preparation amongst the various member organizations.

Good luck,

Jack Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director