Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What

To: "Jeff Warner" <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>,
Subject: Re: Use of Weight Scales in Vintage Racing Events Techs - What
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:32:02 -0500
ending up under weight is really a good thing as you can ballast the car
with weight where you would be better balanced.  that is what we did in scca
racing years ago.  it was not uncommon to bolt down lead plates to the
passenger floor to offset driver weight and add needed ballast to a lower
area in the car .
now lemmie see how do i address the rolling tank statement?
since i just rolled into my driveway from running at sebring with the car
they feared they had to time with a sun dial! i think i have a handle on the
rolling tank thing...LOL!   my sugestion with reguards to driving a slower
car in a group would be to be positive you have ample rear view mirror
coverage in a reasonable field of vision.  you will be spending almost as
much time looking forward as you do scanning your mirrors for overtaking
traffic.  it is the responsibility of the overtaking car to safely pass you.
but!  if you are not aware of their aproach and are not holding your line or
not giving them a point by, their pass might scare the living daylights out
of you!   the other thing is beware of more than one car overtaking at a
time!  many times another car will be racing with the car you see aproaching
in your mirrors yet the aproaching car usually masks the other car causing
you not to be able to see it untill the last minute!
at sebring my 850cc saab was running with corvettes, mustangs and camaros
and some darn quick 911's.  i try very hard to be curteous to my fellow
competitors who are much faster than i am.  some may view me as a serious
pain in their tush as i can see how i can really get in their way.  but
honestly i do try to extend all the courtesy i can out on course.  it's a
full time job!  times come and go where i wished i could accelerate out of
crners and thunder down long straights...but then i get 16MPG on course and
my tires last a season (or two!) and i know their fuel / tires budget
exceeds mine!  you will learn to have fun enjoy the people who you race with
and aquire some very good skills in carrying speed through corners.

chuck
that darn orange saab!