Re: trailer worries

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailer worries
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:21:09 -0600 (MDT)
For some time I towed a similar single axle trailer and Spitfire racer
behind a Jeep Cherokee with the 190 hp straight six.  The Cherokee tipped the
scales at something like 2980 pounds, not quite twice the weight of the car and
trailer combination.  And the Jeep had a fairly short wheelbase.  There were
moments where one had to pay real close attention as the tail tried to wag the
dog, but I would guess your van weighs more and has a longer wheelbase, so it
should be suitable.

Now when I tow behind the 1 ton, long wheelbase, big block cargo van, ( 5,900
lbs empty) I have yet to discern any difference in behavior between having the
trailer back there or not.

mjb.