Authenticity

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Authenticity
From: Richard Newton <rfn026@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
This whole question is of some interest - but largely acedemic considering what
is going on with historic racing. I once owned a wonderful Brabham BT-21 that
had only been raced for one season in Europe. It was raced by an Australian
gentleman in F3. At the end of the year it was sold to a guy in the United
States and stored out in Long Island for several decades.

I put the car back together and sold it with complete documentation and the F3
lay over engine. About a decade later I ran across the car at an event. All of
the documentation had been destroyed and a brand new history had been created.
The owner purchased the car as an F2 car. He had no idea as to the real history
of the car, but simply accepted the fabricated history.

The car is still actively raced in several vintage series and the owners truly
believe that they have a significant F2 car. The last few owners haven't really
committed fraud since they truly believe that they own an F2 car. The person
who changed the history of the car has long since cashed the check.

Is this a replica car? Is this a recreation? Who knows.

Richard Newton