Re: adjustable spring collars

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: adjustable spring collars
From: Rmvr53@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:41:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2003 12:14:51 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

> IMHO, the first sort of rule is a legitimate concern for vintage racing
> organizations; the second is not.
>
> If someone can save themselves hours of futzing away inserting shims, and
> replace that by a quick adjustment, why on Earth should we (in vintage) want
> prevent them from doing so?
>
> Bill S.

One very big reason Bill....keeping the cars consistent with the original
rules. If the car was difficult to set up, it wasn't as good a performer on the
track. Kinda the same reason Porsche's wernt allowed to run webers on
2.4's...the cars were quicker than dang near anything else...but were not
reliable due
to the FI system or were a pain to set up/keep set up depending on your
capability (or check book). Webers on a 2.4 mean reliability AND fast.

Ever notice lap times  from "then" to now?...with modern rubber/compounds,
better brake materials, and "current" technology on shocks/etc (adjustable coil
overs not even considered here), times are a LOT lower than they were in the
original period...and with far inferior drivers behind the wheel (myself
included) to the guys who did it day in /day out and praticed several times a
week.
Many (if not most) of the cars we're driving were not designed (suspension
systems) for the loads we put upon them as we drive them harder and harder with
each new improvement available.

I not advocating that we go back to 1967 (or there abouts) as that would not
be practical. But a difficult car to set up was just one of the challenges
facing drivers and crews back then.

Although, an interesting side thought might be to allow all the mods you
want...but you have to run Blue Streaks....

Bill (F)  RMVR