RE: adjustable spring collars

To: "r-Vintage Race (E-mail)" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: adjustable spring collars
From: "Koehler Cliff" <CKoehler@amuniversal.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:05:22 -0500
> WSpohn4@aol.com writes:
>
> If someone can save themselves hours of futzing away inserting shims, and
>replace that by a quick adjustment, why on Earth should we (in vintage) want
>to prevent them from doing so?
>
> Jack Woehrle replied:
>
> That is why we allow them at SVRA.

--------

Last Sunday, I received an authenticity inspection at the Hallett event
sanctioned by CVAR by my group 7 peers.  Deductions were taken for adjustable
spring perches and a modern air dam.  The air dam is admittedly not correct.  I
could not prove that BRE, Sharp or any Z car effort from the early 70's used
adjustable perches.

Mr. Kent and Mr. Kramer were very polite about the matter.  Knowing that I
usually run with VSCDA, they were willing to look the other way.  I do plan to
continue to use the adjustable perches.  If anyone can provide documentation,
please pass it along.  And if I locate some documentation, I will certainly
pass it on through the list.

I do agree with W. Spohn's take on the matter.  If you could accomplish the
same task of adjusting ride height and weight balance by using "period correct"
shims (or cutting and welding for that matter) that require suspension
disassembly to change, why shouldn't you be allowed to do so with adjustable
spring perches?  In the end, there is no performance advantage regardless of
method.

Cliff Koehler
ckoehler@amuniversal.com
CP Datsun 240Z