Re: adjustable spring collars

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: adjustable spring collars
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:59:21 EDT
In a message dated 07/10/2003 1:41:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, Rmvr53
writes:

> One very big reason Bill....keeping the cars consistent with the original
> rules. If the car was difficult to set up, it wasn't as good a performer on
> the track.

Balls!  The result is the same, it is only the time it takes to adjust the
car that changes. The car will do the same lap times whether you take a half
hour or  3 hours to adjust the suspension!

Kinda the same reason Porsche's wernt allowed to run webers on 2.4's...the
cars were quicker than dang near anything
> else...but were not reliable due to the FI system or were a pain to set
> up/keep set up depending on your capability (or check book). Webers on a 2.4
> mean reliability AND fast.

Totally different issue.

> Ever notice lap times  from "then" to now?...with modern rubber/compounds,
> better brake materials, and "current" technology on shocks/etc (adjustable
> coil overs not even considered here), times are a LOT lower than they were in
> the original period..

So what? Do you advocate old tires, oil and gas produced to 40 year old
formulations?

> I not advocating that we go back to 1967 (or there abouts) as that would not
> be practical. But a difficult car to set up was just one of the challenges
> facing drivers and crews back then.

I have an announcement - we are NOT running old IMSA or SCCA battles via a
time machine. We are going out to play in cars that shouldn't be run at
anywhere
near 10/10ths, and there is no reason I can think of other than some
retroanal attachment to tradition for the sake of tradition to make life harder
for
some drivers just because it used to be that way.

No one is saying (not me, anyway) that you have to allow mods today that
would have been illegal in the day, that make the cars faster, but if it makes
it
easier to work on, or makes it last longer (current synthetic oils, Accusumps
etc.) between breaking, I am all for it. And I wouldn't make them run period
brake pad material, brake fluid, rubber or anything else that's inferior to
today's products, just because it might be considered to be more in keeping
with
the 'spirit' of vintage racing.

Bill