Re: Motor oil

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Subject: Re: Motor oil
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:32:33 -0800
So you are saying that you would Want this guys idea of 10 psi per 1,000
rpm?   No thank you !  Please.!.  I do NOT want my engine to be idling with
only 8 psi of presure...That's a HUGE indication something is broken or
severely worn.  NOPE  Gimee 30 -40 at idle, and 60 -70 at anything over
1,800 or so, and I'm very happy.  I will gladly give what little horsepower
that hivol pump will draw compared to the benifits of have plenty of oil
when and where I want it..

    As for the drive gear, as I remember, it's easily replaced at the bottom
of the distributor, and yes it was a weak area, but as in all things, it can
be improved upon.  Porpoer cam cutting of the drive gear, and using bronze
driven gear....although as I remember reading somewhere, the broze may wear
far too quickly...the driving of the pump shaft is where I remember the
problem being.  It's been a while but as I remember it's a pin that drives
that pump shaft...this can be changed.  there is nothing that can't be
improved upon..

Rich