Re: Motor oil

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Motor oil
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:02:52 -0600
Rich, "This guy" that I cited, Smokey Yunick,  is one of if not the most
respected race car designer/builder ever with one hell of a portfolio when it
comes to building engines that perform and live.  I personally have run a Rover
engined race car for 5+ seasons with 10# of pressure at idle and no bottom end
failures, and know others who have run with less, same result.  Perhaps you
should measure the oil pressure on production Rover V8s, which also run many
miles with a reputation for solid bottom ends.  You will find that they make
about 40# at maximum pressure and very little at idle.  This is not a subject
for guesses and old wives tales.  There is solid data available.  As for the
drive gear, no one has "improved on it" as you suggest, and if it fails in
service the results can be very expensive.  The problem with the gear is not
material, but the size of the drive and the power that some have attempted to
transmit through it. You might want to look at the Rover motors from 94 to date
and notice that the front cover remains much the same, but that Rover has seen
fit to replace the oil pump with a design driven directly off of the crank.  I
guess they just could not figure how to "improve" the original design.  I would
be most interested in any configuration that you have come up with that will
give 30-40# at idle and only 70 at full pressure and operating temp.  In my
experience that is not possible.  John