RE: Motor oil

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Motor oil
From: "Jones, Daniel C" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:40:37 -0600
> So you are saying that you would Want this guys idea of 10 psi per 1,000
> rpm?   No thank you !  Please.!.  I do NOT want my engine to be idling
> with
> only 8 psi of presure...That's a HUGE indication something is broken or
> severely worn.  NOPE  Gimee 30 -40 at idle, and 60 -70 at anything over
> 1,800 or so, and I'm very happy.  I will gladly give what little
> horsepower
> that hivol pump will draw compared to the benifits of have plenty of oil
> when and where I want it..

Smokey's rule of thumb was derived from his experience with
small block Chevys.  Other engines may need more or less.
Pressure requirements vary with load which varies with the
square of rpm (and with power/cylinder pressure).  I can't
see any reason to run high pressure at idle but I would want
some margin that could be bled off as the engine wears and
bearing clearances open up.  Current racing technology is to
run as little pressure as required for safe operation.  Any more
wastes, horsepower and increases cooling requirements.

>     As for the drive gear, as I remember, it's easily replaced at the
> bottom
> of the distributor, and yes it was a weak area, but as in all things, it
> can
> be improved upon.  Porpoer cam cutting of the drive gear, and using bronze
> driven gear....although as I remember reading somewhere, the broze may
> wear
> far too quickly...the driving of the pump shaft is where I remember the
> problem being.  It's been a while but as I remember it's a pin that drives
> that pump shaft...this can be changed.  there is nothing that can't be
> improved upon..

Bronze gears are typically used when running steel roller cams
and are sacrificial, needing frequent replacement.

Dan Jones