Re: Motor oil

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Motor oil
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:31:14 -0800

Susan and John Roper wrote:

> Rich, "This guy" that I cited, Smokey Yunick,  is one of if not the most
> respected race car designer/builder ever with one hell of a portfolio when it
> comes to building engines that perform and live.

He also flogs 'Prolong' (I presume the car engine variety <g>).  Maybe
there's a relationship here ?  He claims to run engines with low oil
pressure and is sponsored by a product that claims to let you run no oil
pressure ?

I'll also bet he doesn't let his race engines idle for any length of
time !

> As for the
> drive gear, no one has "improved on it" as you suggest, and if it fails in
> service the results can be very expensive.  The problem with the gear is not
> material, but the size of the drive and the power that some have attempted to
> transmit through it. You might want to look at the Rover motors from 94 to
>date
> and notice that the front cover remains much the same, but that Rover has seen
> fit to replace the oil pump with a design driven directly off of the crank.  I
> guess they just could not figure how to "improve" the original design.

So, the original design was so completely inadequate that Rover had to
replace it ?  And they were already using the toughest materials
available for the undersized drive ?  The first point disproves your
argument, the second is _most_ unlikely.

I'll butt back out, and let you two go back to floggin the horse now ...

Randall