Re: 4.2 engine

To: barrier@bconnex.net, lmichelon@i-c.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4.2 engine
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 02:49:25 -0400
> Sorry about the previous post. I hit the send button by accident before
> typing this message.  Isn't the 4.2 a 3.5 with a stroker crank?  A friend of
> mine put a Buick 300 crank in an SD1 3.5 engine and claims to have 4.2
> litres.  As I understand it the 3.9/4.0 is the 3.5 with a larger bore and the
> 4.6 is the larger bore and the stroker crank.  Also, how cheap is a 4.6 short
> engine?  You've got me drooling again for more cubic inches.
> Fred Smith
> Orinda, CA

Increased capacity is a function of more than simply the bore and the
crank... and there is a wide variety in the inherent quality of a
"stroking" result depending on which base block you started with and the
ancillary improvements, if any,  you made to compliment the increased
capacity.

The 4.6 (and its baby sister the 4.0) are by far structurally the best
blocks of any in the line. The 4.6 forms a new baseline for what is
possible (Rimmer says they can push them to 6.0). A stroked 215 or 3.5
pushes the capacity to a 4.3 and a stroked 3.9 is normally pushed to a
4.7. The process does NOT resolve the structural issues that the 4.6/4.0
deal with within their design improvements.

The 4.6/4.0 will also certainly be the last of these great engines. The
extremely low prices for factory fresh new blocks we are seeing right
now is more evidence that the decision has been made. A short 4.6 block
can be had for 1300 Pounds in the UK almost everywhere and there is a
place in Miami I have heard of that is selling them from the crate for
about 2100 USD. These prices make stroking a older block unattractive.

Lorne