4.2 engine

To: barrier@bconnex.net, lmichelon@i-c.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: 4.2 engine
From: FOSmith@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:27:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/1 11:05:20 AM, barrier@bconnex.net wrote:

>Essentially the 4.2 is a 3.9 with longer stroking crank, skimmed pistons
>and same rods, ( piston crown is thinner)
>Its not a bad engine its just that with the new 4.6 cross-bolted short
>engine being so cheap, buying or upgrading 4.2's seems a poor value
>exercise by comparison.

Sorry about the previous post. I hit the send button by accident before
typing this message.  Isn't the 4.2 a 3.5 with a stroker crank?  A friend of
mine put a Buick 300 crank in an SD1 3.5 engine and claims to have 4.2
litres.  As I understand it the 3.9/4.0 is the 3.5 with a larger bore and the
4.6 is the larger bore and the stroker crank.  Also, how cheap is a 4.6 short
engine?  You've got me drooling again for more cubic inches.
Fred Smith
Orinda, CA