Re: 4.2 engine

Subject: Re: 4.2 engine
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:58:27 +0100
jon wrote:

> Can a 4.6 be bolted in where a 215 lived? Are the bell housing
> bolts/dowels the same? I under the oil pump is driven directly by the
> crank, at the front of the engine. Is the engine longer? Are heads
> interchangable? Jon

        Yes, yes, no and yes. The engine is basically the same, with mounting
bolts and bellhousing location the same. The oil pump is accommodated by a
different front cover, which can be fitted to an old block. Front pulleys vary,
and can be adapted sometimes, although the newer crank noses are longer to
better drive the oil pump and still fit a pulley. I have a late block, short
nose crank, modified (shortened shaft) SD1 pulley, late crank-driven oil pump,
earlier SD1/classic RR heads. (I am not saying everything is compatible, you
understand, just that many combinations are possible/adaptable). The later
blocks have only two rows of head bolt holes, the outer four holes near the
exhaust not being used. This does not seem to be detrimental. Later heads are
virtually identical to earlier ones, except those four holes are not drilled
in the casting. Later heads (14-bolt and 10-bolt) have different ancillary
mounting lugs and holes on the ends (maybe several variants). The 4.6 (and
probably 4.0) distributorless front covers have a different oil pickup system
which requires a different sump, but the blocks can still be fitted with old
parts as the oil pickup drillings are still there (AFAIK). The 'interim' crank
driven pump covers with a distributor use the old pattern oil pickup gallery.
There are some pictures on my website (in the car pages) of some of these parts
during the assembly of my engine, which is shown in my SD1, although it's now
in my Range Rover, which I shall illustrate there when I have time (yeah,
right!).

 Hope this all helps!

        Regards,
                Franc.