RE: 4.2 engine

To: "jon" <jonaxt@pacifier.com>
Subject: RE: 4.2 engine
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:52:04 -0400
Jon

The 215 & 4.6 have the same mounting bosses & the external block & head
dimensions are the same, so should be a bolt in.

You would not want to use 215 heads on a 4.6, smaller valves smaller
diameter combustion chambers as a start. Bell housings should interchange.

The front cover is where you will run into problems. The 4.6 front cover
incorporates the water & oil pumps, using a serpentine belt to connect the
crank pulley with the water pump & alternator, A/C, & power steering pumps.
You will find that the harmonic balancer is quite long compared to the 215,
& that the 4.6 front cover has no provision for a distributor since the
engine was originally crank fired- or the British equal of crank fire.

While all of the above can be dealt with, the kicker is that the oil filter
fouls the steering rack. Actually, it is the filter head itself that
interferes, meaning that you cannot solve the problem with a remote filter.

Of the 2 solutions that I know of, the simpler is to use a 215 or early
Rover front cover, with a Buick or Olds harmonic balancer. The other
solution is extreme engine set back, & major relocation of the steering
rack, with the attendant problems of maintaining the Ackerman angle to
prevent bump steer. I have done the 2nd solution & can tell you it is a lot
of work, & that custom pulleys are expensive, but it does have a certain
"gee whiz" factor.

Jim Stuart