Re: Roadster oil filters

To: "Tom Householder" <tomhouse@hevanet.com>,
Subject: Re: Roadster oil filters
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:55:48 -0500
>Hello all. This is kind of a serendipity thing. I bought a 87 Escort
>witha blown
>head gasket for 100.00. As I was tearing the motor apart, I decided to
>change
>the filter after draining the water/oil out of the pan. I looked at the
>filter and it
>looked suspiciusly close to the filter on my 69 2000. I had some
>U20filters
>in my parts cabinet, and low and behold, it fits perfectly on the Ford
>Escort.
>So if they stop making 1600/2000 oil filters, simply sub a escort/lynx
>filter.
>there should be a few million still on the road...(Wonder what other
>parts are
>interchangeable????)_________Tom Householder;Portland, OR

Tom,

I'm not surprised, although I hadn't thought it about before your post.
You can use the Fram PH8 (Ford universal size pretty much) or equvilent
on the L-series motors. I haven't seen a PH2850 in thec run of the mill
parts stores in years. Is the PH8 the size you used? Does it fit both the
R and U motors? I was told the only functional difference between the PH8
and the PH2850 was the lack of an anti-drain back valve on the 2850. On
the L-motors the filter lays flat, so the oil in it drains out.

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas