Re: Roadster oil filters

To: Tom Householder <tomhouse@hevanet.com>,
Subject: Re: Roadster oil filters
From: Philip Erickson <philip.erickson@Agouron.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:30:36 -0700
Hi all,
Some things I remember about oil filters. I haven't been in the parts
business for 10+ years.
There are only a few threads used, and I think Datsun used 3/4 x 18 which
is the most common.
There are two types of valves fitted into the filters, anti siphon and
by-pass.  The anti siphon keeps the filter full of oil, like the long tube
in the center of the 2000's filter fitting, and the by-pass allows oil to
by-pass the filter if the pressure drop across the filter is too great
(clogged filter).
NOT ALL Filters have both features in the filter and the pressure drops
vary according to engine design.
If you install a filter with too low of a by-pass pressure you could get
no filtering at all, if you install one with too high pressure you may get
low oil volume.
A Ford filter ( PH8A ) is a common aftermarket general use filter, I think
it has both features.
Phil

--
Philip Erickson                                  Phone:  (619) 622-7963
Associate Scientist