U20 drivability help needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 drivability help needed
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:01:50 -0700
Hi everyone;
I had a great weekend - spent Friday getting the car in order, and Saturday
and Sunday bombing around town....  what fun!

I am still trying to figure out something with my de-smogged and
header-equipped U20.  I've posted about this before, but now that I have
some bugs ironed out, maybe someone can give me better direction.  The car
is a '69, but I can't say about the engine - I think the engine number is
something around 11,xxx...  (IOW, it's an unknown hodge-podge engine)

Basically, the car feels like it's running out of gas at 5000 rpm.  It will
pull pull pull like there's no tomorrow, until it hits 5,000, then it's
just like the carbs are blocked - no more flow, the exhaust tone changes,
and the car slows down.

I thought it might be float settings (enough gas to get me to 5K, but then
no more), but *gently* taking the car to 4000 and punching it yields the
same result.

The valves have all been adjusted, the timing is about 10BTDC.  I have set
the carbs and balanced them.  I pulled the breaker plate from the dist and
cleaned it up and relubed it.

Nothing I've done has made any difference.

I'm just about going nuts here - the car is fast and strong, but it would
sure be nice to get some more revs out of it.

My only thought is that the distributor is either not functioning properly
or needs modification for improved performance.  The vac advance (as viewed
from the indicator tab sticking in from the advance body) moves, but not
much, as the engine is raced about.  Of course, this is under no load, so I
don't have a clue as to what it's supposed to do.  Can someone help me out
with the proper action of the vac advance, or a vac spec (duh, shoulda
thoughta that - probably in my manual)...

I've heard of recurving the distribtor - what's involved?  Is is as simple
as replacing the mechanical advance springs or what?  Is it a DIY, or a
send-it-out-to-some-pro-who-knows-what-he's-doing modification?

Please help me get a handle on this thing!

     ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
 _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
|  _ |   |  _'@`, 69 2000, U20, shagadelic baby! - El Projecto
`-(@)------(@)-;  84 Maxima, 280ZX in sedan disguise - Mr. Max
http://www.sonic.net/~kyle 240Z tech info, Win95/8 theme, etc.

            "Real sports cars are rear-wheel drive."