Re: U20 drivability help needed

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U20 drivability help needed
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:47:39 -0700
Kyle
As stated by others, check the fuel filter (even a fuel filter that
seems OK may be bad), easy and cheap to just replace it.  The fuel
filter is on the low pressure (ambient) side of the fuel pump, so fuel
pump flow (and pressure) are very sensitive to filter blockage.  If a
filter replacement doesn't solve the problem, check the fuel pump
pressure/flow, you may have a small diaphram or check valve leak. Refer
to Tom's tech tips for troubleshooting the fuel pump.

Another thought, if this problem has existed for a long time (like as
long as you have owned it), I would check the *cam* timing. An advanced
cam will produce more low rpm torque, but will limit high rpm power. I
had similar symptoms when I bought my car, I examined and replaced fuel
and electrical components to no avail. My car would run great up to
about 4500 rpm then it would shut off, reving the engine I could see
flow reversal out the carbs. Bottom line the cam was advanced one chain
tooth. It's suprising the car would run and no valve-to-piston contact.
If you want details on checking the cam timing email me (yeah, I'm too
tired to write it up right now).
Todd Osborn
68 2L, DATSFUN, San Jose, CA